Does anyone know .....

Richard Norman rsnorman at mw.mediaone.net
Sun Feb 28 21:26:05 EST 1999

T wrote in message <7bc8ts$ee6$1 at ns1.otenet.gr>...
>Does anyone know anything about "Gillen Bares" (I am not sure about
>spelling).
>It is a disease paralyse the body gradually after a virus and high
fever.

>Thanks

I only have book knowledge (The Merck Manual).  Buillain-Barre
syndrome is "an acute, usually rapidly progressive formof inflammatory
polyneuropathy characterized by muscular weakness and mild distal
sensory loss that about 2/3 of the time begins 5 days to 3 weeks after
a banal, infections disorder, surgery, or an immunization...The cause
is unknown, although an autoimmune basis is probable."

Respiratory weakness can be life threatening in small percentage
of patients.  "90% of patients reach their maximal degree of
weakness in 3 weeks, most in the first 2 weeks."

"Severe acute polyneuropathy is a medical emergency, requiring
constant monitoring and vigorous support of vital functions."

"Considerable improvement over a period of months is usual; about
30% of adults have residual weakness at 3 years and the percentage
is higher in children."

My best wishes to you (or a loved one) if you are asking not just out
of
a sense of curiosity.