MDMA for psychotic depression

Bill Skaggs skaggs at bns.pitt.edu
Mon Nov 1 15:24:26 EST 1999

"Troy" <tmarchan at student.ecu.edu.au> writes:

> I would like to know peoples opinions on whether small daily doses of MDMA
> or ecstasy(which i have used recreationally for a few years) would help her
> condition because it seems wrong to let someone suffer like this their whole
> life. I am not going to give her any for fear of either going to jail or
> getting her put in the locked ward but was wondering if this could possibly
> help a person such as herself.
>
> Any opinions either proffessional or non proffesional would be appreciated.

There is some evidence, based on experiments using animals, that MDMA
may cause permanent damage to serotonergic neurons in the brain.  It
isn't clear how well these apply to humans, but given the doubts, it
would be irresponsible to recommend giving it as a form of therapy,
even disregarding the fact that it would be illegal (in the U.S.,
anyway).

	-- Bill