neuropeptides involved in pain

Dallas Grasby dallas.grasby at adelaide.edu.au
Mon Nov 1 21:24:55 EST 1999

Olivier Joubert wrote:

> hi,
> I am in Master of biochemistry and I have a statement on the neuropeptides
> involved in pain to do. May you help me??

Hi Olivier,

I occasionally glance at the sub P literature and thought I'd pass on a
few references I thought were interesting.

As Bill suggested (in a newsgroup reply to your original posting) there
are likely to be a multitude of transmitters, including neuropeptides,
involved in the central nervous system pathways that modulate our
within the spinal cord (eg. VIP, PACAP - Dickinson 99; Galanin - Hao+
99). But as far as nociception goes (at least the activity of peripheral
sensory nerves whose main modality is pain), substance P certainly
appears to be of major significance.

The classic nociceptive sensory neurons do release substance P and CGRP,
but glutamate is probably the main transmitter back in the spinal cord.
Release of supstance P and CGRP exert important effects in the
periphery, antidromic 'axon reflexes' stimulate their release from
peripheral nerve processes.  The result being vasodilation (esp CGRP)
and extravasation (esp sub P - Cao+ 99).  The role of substance P
(tachykinins in general) in neurotransmission by nociceptive afferents
back in the spinal cord is less clear.  On this role of substance
P/other tachykinins gene disruption studies have made interesting
observations (Cao+ 98; De Felipe+ 98), as have studies where nociceptive
afferents are disrupted by capsaicin treatment (Gamse 82).  Therefore,
substance P is only part of the story!

Hope that something here helps - repost/reply if you require specific info.

Cao T, Gerard NP, Brain SD (1999)
Use of NK(1) knockout mice to analyze substance P-induced edema
formation.
American Journal of Physiology 277(2 Pt 2):R476-481.

Cao YQ, Mantyh PW, Carlson EJ, Gillespie AM, Epstein CJ, Basbaum AI
(1998)
Primary afferent tachykinins are required to experience moderate to
intense pain.
Nature 392(6674):390-394.

De Felipe C, Herrero JF, O'Brien JA, Palmer JA, Doyle CA, Smith AJ,
Laird JM, Belmonte C, Cervero F, Hunt SP (1998)  Altered nociception,
analgesia and aggression in mice lacking the receptor for substance P.
Nature 392(6674):394-397.

Dickinson T, Fleetwood-Walker SM (1999)
VIP and PACAP: very important in pain?
Trends in Pharmacological Sciences 20(8):324-329.

Gamse R (1982)
Capsaicin and nociception in the rat and mouse. Possible role of
substance P.
Naunyn-Schmiedebergs Archives of Pharmacology 320(3):205-216.

Hao JX, Shi TJ, Xu IS, Kaupilla T, Xu XJ, Hökfelt T, Bartfai T,
Wiesenfeld-Hallin Z (1999)  Intrathecal galanin alleviates
allodynia-like behaviour in rats after partial peripheral nerve injury.
European Journal of Neuroscience 11(2):427-432.

Iversen L (1998)
Substance P equals pain substance?
Nature 392(6674):334-335.

Richardson JD, Kilo S, Hargreaves KM (1998)
Cannabinoids reduce hyperalgesia and inflammation via interaction with
peripheral CB1 receptors.
Pain 75(1):111-119.

dallas.grasby at adelaide.edu.au