neuropeptides involved in pain

smith wastel at mailcity.com
Tue Nov 2 23:57:10 EST 1999

Pain is transmitted as an electric signal which encounters gaps at intervals along its path ). The signal is transferred in the form of a chemical signal across the synaptic gap and this is detected by receptors on the post-synaptic membrane. A charge of about -70mV exists across the inner and outer membranes, but when a pain signal arrives it raises this to +30mV (see Fig 2b). This action causes channels to open in the membrane, triggering the release of a chemical transmitter and allowing ions to flow into the synaptic gap. The cell then re-polarises to its previous resting level.

Research by Warnke  (1983) suggests that PMFT affects the quiescent potential of the membrane, lowering it to a hyper-polarised level of -90mV. Transmission is effectively blocked since the pain signal is unable to raise the potential to the level required to trigger the release of the chemical transmitter. Again, the frequency of an applied magnetic field is important, as the most effective frequency to produce this effect was found to be a base frequency of 200Hz pulsed at between 5 and 25 pulses per second.

Olivier Joubert a écrit dans le message <7vk54f$nnc$1 at front4m.grolier.fr>...
:hi,
:I am in Master of biochemistry and I have a statement on the neuropeptides
:involved in pain to do. May you help me??
:Where can I search or have you some advice? (the first is, I know ,
:upgrading my english)
:
:--
:Olivier Joubert