brain plasticity - what causes it?

John E Anderson jander at unf.edu
Fri Nov 5 14:49:23 EST 1999

Hi all

I would like to tap into the collective wisdom of the list in hopes of
answering the following question:

Does any kind of neuronal activity in the brain induce plasticity, or is
plasticity induced only by certain kinds of activity?  In other words,
do changes in brain tissue -- either through modification of synapse
strengths, establishment of new synapses, or some other route -- become
more likely in response to action potentials in *any* kind of neuron, or
does the activity have to be in a special kind(s) of neuron?

Thanks for any help you can provide.  I would especially appreciate
pointers to relevant papers or other sources of information.

JA
--
John E Anderson
Department of Natural Sciences