brain plasticity - what causes it?

John E Anderson jander at unf.edu
Sat Nov 6 09:37:59 EST 1999

> it's my view that the nervous system, =as a whole=, remains 'plastic'
> throughout life,

That has to be the case, at least in higher cortical areas (and maybe
throughout the NS), otherwise we couldn't learn anything.  But I have a
very specific question.  When neurons are active (fire action
potentials) they release neurotransmitters and neuromodulators of
various sorts.  Some of these things must be responsible for inducing
plasticity -- rearrangements in the surrounding brain tissue.  My
question is do *all* neurons produce whatever it is that induces
plasticity, or only some?

Thanks for the response.

John
--