brain/body size and intelligence

JoshCahoon joshcahoon at cs.com
Mon Nov 8 19:46:25 EST 1999

Does anyone know why it is that the relevant data in comparing the intelligence
of different species is brain/body ratio, rather than simply brain size? The
blue whale's brain is much larger than human brains, yet is presumably not as
intelligent as humans. Even within the human species, brain/body ratio is much
more important than brain size per se in assessing intelligence. Men's brains
are, on average, larger than women's. Yet men's relatively large bodies lead to
about the same brain/body ratio, and hence, about the same intelligence. To me,
this is all  rather counterintuitive, yet I've never encountered an explanation
for why it is the case.