q b a s i c p p o g r a m s [LONG!] - MY COPYRIGHT AND LICENCSE VIOLATIONS

ken collins kckpaulc at aol.comABCXYZ
Mon Nov 8 22:24:31 EST 1999

>Subject: Re: q b a s i c p  p o g r a m s [LONG!]
>From: kckpaulc at aol.comABCXYZ  (ken collins)
>Date: Sat, 06 November 1999 04:41 PM EST
>
>' b e g i n c r u d e I n f o C a l c B A S ------------------------------

>[...]

>  ' CLS ' 3-D HISTOGRAM (ROUTINE COPIED FROM GRAPHICS TEXT) =============

BECAUSE I UL'D CODE FROM THE BOOK REFERRED TO, ABOVE, I AM IN VIOLATION OF THE
AUTHOR'S COPYRIGHT AND PUBLISHED LICENSE REQUIREMENTS.

I HAVE TRIED TO DELETE THE MSGS CONTAINING THE AUTHOR'S CODE, BUT, APPARENTLY,
MY BROWSER WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO DO SO.

I HEREBY, ABSOLVE AOL, AND BIONET.NEUROSCIENCE, AND ALL OF IT'S ASSOCIATES,
SPONSORS, READERS, USERS, =EVERYONE OTHER THAN MYSELF, OF ANY AND ALL
CULPABILITY IN THIS MATTER, AND DECLARE MYSELF TO BE =SOLELY=, AND =COMPLETELY=
RESPONSIBLE FOR MY VIOLATIONS OF THE AUTHOR'S COPYRIGHT AND PUBLISHED LICENSE
AGREEMENTS. ALL RESPONSIBILITY UNDER THE LAW FALLS, SOLELY, TO ME. IT =MUST= BE
THIS WAY BECAUSE EVERYONE OTHER THAN MYSELF IS COMPLETELY-INNOCENT WITH RESPECT
TO MY COPYRIGHT AND PUBLISHED LICENSE AGREEMENT VIOLATIONS.

================= TO THE SYSOP OF BIONET.NEUROSCIENCE =============

PLEASE DELETE THE MSG, QUOTED ABOVE, FROM THE MSG BOARD, AS THOROUGHLY AS IS
POSSIBLE.

i had embedded a full attribution to the Author in the program, but,
apparently, i UL'd a version of the program that did not include that full
attribution.

when i reread the post, i noted this deficit, and worked, in my storeroom, to
find my copy of the Author's book.

i did find it (see ref, below), but it's to no avail, because, when i opened
the book, there, on a blue tear-out card in the book, between pages 46 and 47,
is a LICENSE AGREEMENT ORDER FORM THAT =CLEARLY= STATES THAT USE OF THE CODE
=REQUIRES= A $175.00(US) FEE.

it had been so long since i've referred to the text that i'd forgotten about
this CLEARLY-PUBLISHED LICENSE REQUIREMENT.

my 'forgetfullness' does not alter my sole, and full, responsibility. I AM
IN-VIOLATION OF THE AUTHOR'S LICENSE AGREEMENT AND THE AUTHOR'S COPYRIGHT.

the text is:

_Interactive Microcomputer graphics_, by Chan S. Park, (c) Copyright 1985,
ISBN: 0-201-05541-4, published by [quoting from the book's Copyright page]
"Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved. No part of this
publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in
any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or
otherwise, without the prior written permission of the publisher."

the code that i copied, with, perhaps, small modifications (i've not done a
full compare; i did not purchase the software disk that's also offered in the
book, for $49.95(US). i just typed an 'image' of the code, debugged im copy,
and used it to depict the InfoCalc derivatives graphically.

(the program was originally done on the 8-bit, sans-graphics, CPM machine, and
used only a numerical array display of all of it's internal functions and
outputs. years later, after coming across Chan's book, and after purchasing a
MSDOS PC, i decided to add the histogram code, which is used only to depict the
same numerical arrays graphically (it adds no new InfoCalc functionality), to
the program to make the InfoCalc Derivatives more-easily-comprehended by folks
unfamiliar with Information Calculus. the result, using =CHAN'S COPYRIGHTED
CODE= is rather 'spiffy', and i was pleased with the new visual communicative
power =CHAN'S COPYRIGHTED CODE= added to the program.)

but, tonight, because, on rereading the post, i realized that i'd UL'd a
version without the complete attribution, i worked to find the Author's text in
my store room (boxes stacked 10-high in places). when i finally found the book,
i thumbed through it, and came across the LICENSE AGREEMENT, and immediately
knew what my Unavoidable Responsibility was (=is=).

i Apologize to the Author and publisher, but do not 'absolve' myself from any
Liability that's due the Author (and/or Publisher).

i do recall calling Addison-Wesley to inquire about purchasing the software
disk, but never received the disk. (i recall that the Publisher's
representative that i spoke with couldn't track down the disk to which i was
referring, even though i gave all of the book's info... still, =ALL=
RESPONSIBILITY FOR =MY= VIOLATION OF THE AUTHOR'S COPYRIGHT AND PUBLISHED
LICENSE AGREEMENTS FALLS =SOLELY= TO ME.

K. P. Collins, 10:24pm, Monday, 8 Nov., '99