Temporal neural activity - what is it?

ken collins kckpaulc at aol.comABCXYZ
Tue Nov 9 00:41:19 EST 1999

CLARIFICATION:

>Subject: Re: Temporal neural activity - what is it?
>From: kckpaulc at aol.comABCXYZ  (ken collins)
>Date: Mon, 08 November 1999 07:22 AM EST
>
>>Subject: Temporal neural activity - what is it?
>>From: "Kyle Doerksen" kyle_doerksen[spaminacan]@hotmail.com
>>Date: Mon, 08 November 1999 01:49 AM EST
>>
>>I'm interested in brain patterns as varying with time. From what little I've
>>read, it seems that new reserach is being conducted that indicates that the
>>patterns (time series) of neuronal excitation are important in overall brain
>>function. Could you please advise me as to where I could look to find more
>>information about this, and what relevant terminology I could use for www
>>searches?
>
>hi, Kyle. there's no 'time' in the nervous system (or anywhere else within
>physical reality; but that's another discussion).
>
>what's been referred to as 'time' is 'just' energy flowing.
>
>to see-it with respect to nervous system function, one has to constantly keep
>in mind the overall problem that the nervous system must 'solve' if it's host
>organism is to survive:
>
>given an input-->analyze-->manifest an output
>
>in our nervous systems, this problem is embodied in the Geometry of the
>neural
>architecture, which maps the body-environment interface (skin, retina,
>cochlea,
>etc.) into the CNS, and outputs to the effectors, in rigorously
>topographically-ordered (Geometrical) fashions, in which the correlation
>between the input and output 'maps' is preserved throughout their entire
>extents, with respect to a single principle:
>
>that topologically-distributed excitation should be maximized and
>topologically-distributed inhibition should be minimized... compactly "TD
>E/I(min)".
>
>thus, in the 'middle' part of the problem, what happens is that the input
>"map's" activation  is transformed into an 'appropriate' output "map's"
>activation... that is, the energy-content of the input 'map' is transformed
>into an 'appropriate' energy-content in the output 'map'.
>
>why 'energy-contents'?
>
>because 'appropriate' behaviors are produced by the effectors' doing =work=.
>coding things in terms of energy-content translates exactly into work at the
>effectors.

check it out the 'logarithmic' encoding of activation-'power' that occurs in
neurons is 'just' the same stuff as wdb2t, inverted... the 'logarithmic'
encoding directly reflects the necessity of 'consuming' relatively-more energy,
if relatively-more work is to be done, that results from the existence of
wdb2t. it's actually 'just' more of the 'nonlinear perspective' stuff that's
introduced in AoK, Ap6.

>but, what must effector activations be, if an 'appropriate' behaviro[r] is to
be
>manifested?
>
>they must be sequenced so that the energy-content of the activation reflects
>the work-flow that must occur in the the effector activations.
>
>to achieve this, our nervous systems sequence the energy-content of the
>output
>network in a way that rigorously reflects the work-flow needs of the
>effectors.
>
>note, there's no 'time' in-there; 'just' sequenced energy-content.

note well, this 'sequencing' derives =solely= in the establishment of energy
gradients, and their, resulting, 'point-to, and simultaneous empowering of the
next-thing. there's absolutely no recourse to non-existent 'time'. the
sequencing derives in energy-flow, not superfluous,
only-encumbering-calcularions, as did the Ptolemaic 'epicycles', 'time'.

>how is 'appropriateness' converged upon?
>
>through trial and error. if a behaviro[r] that's manifested is
'inappropriate',
>there will be feedback from the environment that will be mapped into the
>nervous system in a way that elevates TD E/I.

just as in the case of the 'spelling' errors and typos i'm correcting as i
rearead the stuff of the prior post. (see the discussion of 'sensory-motor
template mismatch' processing in AoK, Ap5).

>and since our nervous systems are engineered, throughout their entire extents
>to do only one thing, achieve TD E/I(min), they can use the energy [ ] content
>that's been mapped into the nervous system to correct the 'inappropriate'
>behavioral manifestation by simply converging upon TD E/I(min).

here (and as usual, i use quotes around references to relative
"appropriateness" because what is 'appropriate' varies, culturally. what
permits TD E/I-minimization to occur within nervous systems, varies culturally
(as i've pointed out in the recent past, Kant and Wittgenstein (and probably a
lot of others, too) have commented on correlated stuff.)

it's extremely important for folks to understand, in fullness, this quality of
"appropriateness" because, without an understanding of such, folks tend to
Murder one another as a result of the abstract (not-explicitly-relevant to
individuals' subjective experience) experiiencing of that which is
merely-unfamiliar as "being inappropriate".

what individuals experience as "being appropriate" derives in TD
E/I-minimization with respect to individually-unique experience.

but, since experience is individually-unique to the degree that it's not
perfectly shared (which is =always= the case, at least to a degree, because
even if two nervous systems are exact 'clones' their host organisms cannot
occupy the same space), that which will result in TD E/I-minimization within
one nervous system will result in other than TD E/I-minimization in all other
nervous systems, =unless=, the understanding of how nervous systems
process-information via automated TD E/I-minimization exists, in a
physically-encoded (having 'biological mass'; AoK, Ap5), within the interacting
nervous systems.

it's the whole 'point' of NDT's understanding that, once it exists within
nervous systems, it results in the transcendence of the automated propensity to
'move away from' that which is merely-unfamiliar.

[note, the understanding does not eliminate the fact that that which is
unfamiliar =can= be 'harmful'. it 'just' enables folks to leave-behind the
'blanket-type' "moving away from" that is "Prejudice". as i've discussed in the
past, the understanding does, however, allow actual 'threats' to be clearly
discerned, in a way that far-exceeds the capabilities of nervous systems sans
the understanding, =if= the necessary, wide-ranging experience is pursued, and
accomplished successfully. with the understanding, there's still
physically-real work that must be pursued, and accomplished, if such
'transcendence' is to be achieved. the 'difficult' thing is that the 'thought',
inherent, and the 'transcendence' itself, cannot even be experienced until the
understanding becomes established, in the form of 'biological mass', within
nervous systems (see AoK, Ap7 & 8).]

>this will, in the middle, 'analysis' part of the problem, take the form of an
>abstract minimization of the network activation's sequenced energy-content,
>and
>this is mapped pack to the effectors, where it will yield an adjusted,
>sequenced, work-flow, and, therefore, an adjusted behavioral manifestation.

again, the 'sequencing' is via energy gradients, not 'time'.

>and so forth. because of the elegant way in which the neural topology is
>'engineered', converging upon TD E/I(min) 'simultaneously' converges upon
>'appropriate' energy-content being mapped to the effectors, and 'appropriate'
>behaviors being manifested.

here 'energy-content' is insufficient. what's actually mapped to the effectors
is an analogue of 'appropriate' energy-content, much as a radio-controlled
model airplane's relatively-small-power electrical signals activate servo
mechanisms having various power-amplyfing functionalities.

but the energy-content power-mapping correlation is always in-there, because
it's the stuff through which the functioning of nervous systems is ordered with
respect to wdb2t which is what orders all of physical reality. the
energy-content stuff... TD E/I(min)... reflects wdb2t, inversely, allowing the
nervous system to organize, and guide, its host organism's 'climbing' of the
external wdb2t energy gradient, which 'leads' the organism to realms of
ever-augmenting energy-supply, within the overall wdb2t energy-flow. hence, the
organism finds 'food', and the means to acquire 'food' (energy) that's needed
for its survival.

stuff like reproduction is 'just' more of the same-stuff, except that it occurs
inter-personally, with respect to the 'climbing' of the energy-gradient that is
wdb2t by a 'species'. 'species' are 'just' groups of organisms that can, and
do, co-operate to achieve this end, 'together'.

when one looks at 'speciation' in this way, one's eyes are opened, because it's
readily-seen that organisms like 'corn', etc., are actually co-operating
'members' of meta-'species'. that is, if the survival needs of co-operating
'members' of  meta-'species' are not fostered, the survival of the
meta-'species', as a whole, becomes, to the degree of such, jeopardized.

...the 'point' being that everything's connected via the one energy-flow that
is wdb2t.

...the further 'point' being that it's 'unfortunate' that various 'members' of
the same meta'species', especially Humans, have waged war upon what is, in
actually, themselves, within the meta-'species', which "waging of war upon
'self'" was a result of the absence of understanding with respect to wdb2t, and
the way it permeates physical reality.

>back to non-existent 'time'... our experience of 'time' is actually our
>experience of the rate of energy-consumption within our nervous systems. the
>old saw about 'time flying when one has fun' is actually correlated with the
>fact that, when our nervous systems are relatively well-converged upon TD
>E/I(min), they function relatively-efficiently, and their energy consumption
>is also relatively-minimized.

again, the 'rate' of energy-consumption is determined by energy-gradients, not
non-existent 'time'.

>the converse case, in which TD E/I is relatively-high, occurs when our
>nervous systems' activation is poorly-converged... think about driving your
car
>during the winter, and the road on which you're driving suddenly turns icy
while
>you're steering your car around a curve... your car slides... there's a
tree...
>because of the ice, there's nothing you can do but wait for the 'crunch'.
>
>in such instances, the activation that occurs within the 'analysis' portion
>of
>the network =soars=, and, be-cause it does, we have the experience of "time's
>slowing-down"... but, look closely, and you'll see immediately that what's
>happening is that, since the neurons in the 'analysis' portion of the net are
>'running rampant', they're also driving everything else at a higher-energy
>'level', so everything's 'running-faster' than it 'normally' would, so more
>'analysis' work is done during what would normally be done in what is
>referred
>to as a 'period of time'.

the topologically-distributed internal energy-gradient is everywhere
relatively-increased; its slope is 'steeper'. the next thing happens with
respect to the slope of the energy-gradient, not with respect to non-existent
'time'.

>but we've no 'clocks' in our nervous systems... all we have is TD E/I, which
>directly reflects energy-consumption, from which we infer nonexistent
>'time'...
>which is obvious because, obviously, what's referred to as 'time' hasn't
>changed, yet, as we head for that tree on the ice-slicked road, 'time' seems
>have come to a stop, and we experience what, in terms of what's been referred
>to as 'one second of time', as if it were much-longer... minutes.
>
>this is be-cause our nervous systems are consuming so much more energy...
>be-cause neural activation has tended toward randomness.
>
>it's the same way in all of physical reality, BTW... for instance, compare
>'normal' geological erosion with the effects of an avalanche, any one sees
>that
>they are 'just' the same thing, only one runs its course much-more rapidly...
>more energy flows per unit of what's been referred to as 'time'.

and in a way that has a more-group-disciplined vectorial quality that, itself,
derives in the energy-gradient of the pre-avalanche physical 'state'.

>but there's no 'time' in-there... 'just' energy flowing.
>
>it's this way be-cause everything within physical reality reduces to the
>one-way flow of energy from order to disorder that is what's described by 2nd
>Thermo (wdb2t).
>
>when we wind a clock's spring, we are just doing work to imbue the spring
>with
>'potential energy'. subsequently, the clock's escapement meteres out the
>energy
>of its spring in a way that's engineered to have a more or less rigorous
>correlation with the period of Earth's rotation.
>
>look and see. it's all 'just' energy flowing.even in 'clocks', there's no
>'time'.
>
>'just' energy, flowing.
>
>the 'only' difference between a 'clock' and a nervous system is that, while
>the
>clock vectors it's energy-flow in a relatively-delineated way, nervous
>systems
>are able to direct their energy-flows in infinite ways.
>
>"viva le difference!" :-)

nervous systems are the 'opposite' of 'avalanches'; they respond to
widely-ranging energy-gradients, not just the enegery-gradients 'in the seat of
their pants'.