no division? why?

Richard Norman rsnorman at mediaone.net
Tue Nov 9 20:12:07 EST 1999

daan <daanBACHvdb at wins.uva.nl> wrote in message
news:3828B299.FE50DCED at wins.uva.nl...
> Today I had a public lecture on cellbiology and I asked the question:
> "why do neural cells not divide or regenerate after maturation"
> But I got no answer. Does anyone know?

A number of cell types do not divide once they have fully matured and
differentiated. But fully differentiated neurons have fantastic shapes and
sizes.  And they form intricate synaptic connections with thousands of other
neurons.  It is hard to imagine just how cytokinesis (the actual separation
of the two daughter cells) could occur in such a system.  Also, in the
vertebrate CNS, neurons originate at a site far distant from their final
location in the brain.

It would make much more sense to have a source of stem cells that could
produce a continuous stream of neuroblasts that can relocate to the proper
location and then differentiate into the proper type of neuron, thus echoing
the normal developmental process, than to have the differentiated neuron try
to divide.