Low Complexity Robots

Arthur T. Murray uj797 at victoria.tc.ca
Wed Nov 10 00:21:42 EST 1999

Mark W. Tilden, mwtilden at math.uwaterloo.ca, beamed to us:
> Date: 10 Nov 1999 01:02:03 GMT

> In article [...], Steve <rstevew at armory.com> wrote:
>> This is Mark Tilden's BEAM robotics. It's malarkey.
>> Cute malarkey, but still malarkey. The thing keeps
>> thrashing is all, it doesn't think any more than a
>> pair of dice thinks. It just tries all the numbers
>> till something happens. It makes many of the set of
>> all possible mistakes. It is never used for anything
>> difficult because it will fail. His stuff is at lanl.gov.
>> He has a following and it strongly resembles a cult
>> for those frightened of learning microcontrollers or
>> bored of the hard work of mainstream AI.

> Dear Steve.  This is inaccurate to say the least.
> Chaotic control systems are an entrenched part of
> conventional AI and robotics, and not just our work.
> Such control aspects are used ubiquitously, and there
> are numerous papers and books on the subject going back
> many years.  As for the "frightened cult", they are neither.
> Most pick up on BEAM educational robotics because it's fast
> to learn, has a high success rate, and is very inexpensive
> compared to processor-based robotics. Furthermore, the
> efforts of many BEAM enthusiasts show that hard work
> is the last thing they're frightened of, as a cruise
> through some of their websites would quickly confirm.

> In conclusion I am always willing to discuss with people who
> have informed opinions.  Please let me know when you get one.

Steve has the following informed opinion, because I just gave it to him:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/7256/mind-fpc.html Mind.Forth is
the way to go if we are to make intelligent robots in our lifetimes.

The colliding worlds of robotics and AI owe an enormous debt to
Richard Steven Waltz, because in early 1998 he so strongly attacked
http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/ Project Mentifex (Mindmaker), that
Jeff Fox of Forth fame felt obliged to defend the PD AI project.
At that point, I resumed the Forth coding of 1995-era Mind.Forth and
brought it to its current status as a top-down high-complexity AI.

Hurrah! Godspeed! And Happy New Year to Richard Steven Waltz --
a prime mover and shaker in both fields:  AI and Robotics.

> Mark W. Tilden [...]

--- please promote open source AI -- put this link on the Web ----
 TITLE="for documentation click on modules in flow-chart">
Mind.Forth AI Source Code</a> -- for porting to other languages.<BR>