brain plasticity - what causes it?

kenneth Collins kpaulc at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 12 03:43:38 EST 1999

ken collins wrote:

> >Subject: Re: brain plasticity - what causes it?
> >From: Matt Jones jonesmat at ohsu.edu
> >Date: Sun, 07 November 1999 02:59 PM EST
> >
> >In article <38243B60.F9787ABC at unf.edu> John E Anderson, jander at unf.edu
> >writes:
> >>various sorts.  Some of these things must be responsible for inducing
> >>plasticity -- rearrangements in the surrounding brain tissue.  My
> >>question is do *all* neurons produce whatever it is that induces
> >>plasticity, or only some?
> >>

> >Taking your definition of "plasticity" (i.e., rearrangements in the
> >surrounding tissue), I would guess that all neurons can cause this,
> >regardless of what neurotransmitter they secrete. I say that because
> >essentially every -postsynaptic- receptor known is subject to regulation
> >of its density and expression on the postsynaptic membrane in a manner
> >that depends on its frequency of exposure to the neurotransmitter to
> >which it responds. That is, chronic exposure (or prevention of exposure)
> >to acetylcholine, say, will cause postsynaptic cells to either up- or
> >downregulate the density of ACh receptors they express, or sometimes
> >which ACh receptor subunits are expressed, and also the location in which
> >these receptors are expressed. The same holds true for glutamate, GABA,
> >serotonin, dopamine, etc. So it appears that, because postsynaptic
> >receptors are regulated by exposure to the neurotransmitter, every neuron
> >that secretes any neurotransmitter must also have some role in guiding
> >"rearangements" in the surrounding tissue.
> >
> >Matt Jones
>
> to your excellent discussion, i'll add that what you describe is =exactly= why
> 'withdrawal' from addictive substances is accompanied by TD E/I(up) supersystem
> configurations.
>
> the addictive substances enter into the stuff you've discussed, altering
> convergence upon specific neural activation 'states', and hence, upon specific
> neural topologies.
>
> when the addictive substances are withheld, this formerly-constructed
> (literally) neural topology can only break down because of its acquired
> dependence upon the artificially-induced, addictive, substance.
>
> all instances of such 'rendering useless' (AoK, Ap8) constitute TD E/I(up)
> conditions; conditions in which the supersystem is not configured optimally.
> the behavioral correlates, and internal malaise, of 'withdrawal' are 'simple'
> reflections of the internal TD E/I(up) [relative-randomness in the
> sans-addictive-substances activation 'states'].

get it? as is briefly discussed in AoK, Ap8, 'addiction' results from the co-opting
of the innate functionality of the TD E/I-minimization mechanisms, which, when TD
E/I increases because the 'addictive' substance has been withdran, converge upon
supersystem configurations that have obtaining the 'addictive' substance as their
'goal'.

this all happens 'blindly', and automatically. i'll offer my own experience as an
example. from time to time, i 'quit' smoking in order to give my body a rest from
the poison. during such times, i always experience myself being 'attracted' to
places where smokers hang-out... bars and such. it's not because i've become
'newly-social'. it's because, on withdrawal from nicotine, TD E/I increases within
my nervous system, and my nervous system becomes reconfigured in a way that any
approach to sources of nicotine activates the reward mechanisms... see how
'sinister' 'addiction' is?

what's happened is that the 'addictive' substances have transformed a Human nervous
system into a non-Human nervous system... a nervous system that functions
differently from a 'normal' Human nervous system. and what was once 'normal',
functions 'abnormally', even though it still does what's innate in-it, but in a way
that's co-opted through the 'addictive'-substance-induced circuit modifications
imposed upon it.

=all= such Tragedy stems from the fact that Ignorance with respect to how our
nervous systems process information has been allowed to exist in our midst, so as
to Dictate that which folks 'shall be'.

'pretty'-Tragic, eh?

note-well, there's =nothing= good in using an 'addictive' substance. if i'd never
started smoking, i'd've still done NDT & TH, only better... so =don't= start using
'addictive', nervous-system-modifying substances.

[to researchers: i've a =lot= of data with respect to nicotine 'addiction'... if
anyone want's to have access to it, msg me. this will have to be accomplished
in-person.]

ken (K. P. Collins)