'circadian rhythms'

kenneth Collins kpaulc at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 13 13:45:51 EST 1999

There's an article in the 6Nov99 issue of _Science News_, "Does March
Madness need a time-out?", reported by "J.T" (J. Travis(?)), p303.

the article reports on analysis that shows that basketball teams that
travel 2 or more 'time' zones suffer a performance deficit.

it's mentioned that such observable deficits are the result of so-called
'circadian rhythms' getting out of phase, due to the 'time' differential
that's imposed by traveling accross 'time' zones... the athletes get
'jet lag'.

while i agree that the observation is important, and that coaches should
take it into consideration, especially when Championships are
on-the-line, the notion of it being the desynchronization of so-called
'circadian rhythms' is NQI ('not quite it').

what's actually happening is that the functionality of the TD
E/I-minimization mechanisms occurs along a information-processing-depth
continuum, that runs from relatively short-term, 'quick & dirty' and
ephemeral information-processing depth, to relatively long-term, elegant
& precise, long-lasting information-processing depth.

in 'normal' circumstances, things along this
information-processing-depth continuum are fit into the experiential
realities that individuals routinely encounter, with the overall
energy-flow capacity of a nervous system being 'divied-up' among the
various TD E/I-minimization mechanisms, short-term to long-term, in a
way that fits into one's routine experiential circumstances.

but, in our 'modern times', when one travels across 'time' zones, one
adjusts one's wristwatch to the 'time', but the TD E/I-minimization
mechanisms are still partitioning the nervous system's energy-flow
capacity in their routine way.

this results in the work of the relatively-long-term energy-flow
dynamics being left incomplete, which further results in an
artificially-induced TD E/I(up) condition that's 'foreign' to the
short-term TD E/I-minimization mechanisms, but with which they must,
nevertheless, deal.

(everything here is, BTW, discussed in AoK. see, in particular, Ap7.)

these crappy little, disconnected things like so-called 'circadian
rhythms' exist all over the place in the literature, fractured,
non-unified, misleading folks.

please get it straight. everything within nervous systems is 'just' TD
E/I-minimization... inverse-wdb2t.

K. P. Collins