Voltage Clamp

kenneth Collins kpaulc at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 13 21:03:17 EST 1999

Hi, Mark. my response is not to you.

if anyone 'wonders', this Q is newer than any of the refs i've used. didn't
'patch clamping' garner the Medicine Nobel in the recent past? my
'understanding' is that it's a powerful technique for analyzing ion-gates and
their functioning.

if anyone wants to see the way i resolved the same stuff, i'll be glad to do
it, in-person. there's no 'mystery' to my method; just a lot of grunt-work to
go from global to local dynamics, while carrying-through the 'special
topological homeomorphism' (STH) and the necessity of TD E/I-minimization,
given specific inputs and outputs.

as i've explained, knowing specific functionalities of particular ion channels
is insufficient for saying anything, because they can do the same thing, but be
participating in radically-different information-processing dynamics... so one
=must= carry through STH & TD E/I-minimization with respect to particular
inputs and outputs.

of course, all the parallelism and sequential stuff, like dynamic subordinate
coupling (AoK, Ap5), must be carried through, too (just sub-stuff within STH &
TD E/I(min).

as i said, except for the refs i've responded to in this NG, i stopped going to
the Lib to read in Neuroscience back in the mid-80s. (it's a Sorrow, but that's
what happened. it was just too-painful to read further).

ken (K. P. Collins