Voltage Clamp

kenneth Collins kpaulc at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 13 22:29:38 EST 1999

=all= of the refs i've used, and the extents to which i've used them is documented (i
habitually mark-up, and write in the margins of everything i read).

as i explained in former discussions. i came to Neuroscience late (from Electrical
Engineering, with Physics being my 'first love). because of this late start, it was
clear to me that the best way i could contribute was to 'look-elsewhere', because all
of the established stuff already had so many Experts doing it. and that's what i did...
'look-elsewhere'. doing so =requires= one to work from First-Principles, because to be
able to contribute 'looking-elsewhere' stuff, one must =first= integrate the
fundamentals. i went at this as Physicists go at Physics (just because i didn't know
'any better'... as i discuss in AoK, i didn't, then, understand that Neuroscience was
pursued via many, then-disconnected, 'specializations', each with their own labs,
languages, conferences, etc.) i just set out to Master what was already in the
Library... because i didn't know 'any better', and becaause i didn't want to 'embarass'
myself in the classroom. in Physics, folks 'hammer' one who blunders, and i didn't want
to allow that to happen to me in my newly-chosen area of study.

the effort almost did-me-in. there was so much in the stacks that needed integrating.
it was during this period that i proposed doing this integration as a way to obtain a
PhD.

i was rebuffed.

but i'd recognized the problem, so i just decided to do it on my own.

it's always been that, because i was 'looking-elsewhere', i just avoided existing
theory (except for then-existing 'personality' theories, because they were the stuff of
a course i took, and one class i took at the graduate level that used a book entitled
_The Metaphorical Brain_, from which, if i recall correctly, i got the frog tectum
transplant stuff that i've used in discussions from time to time.

the rationale in avoiding existing theory was that 1. if it was correct, there'd be
nothing that needed me, and 2. if it was not-yet, but going-to-be, correct, then i'd
not be able to catch-up, anyway, and what needed to be done would be done by other
folks.

so i just 'looked-elsewhere', starting with the raw stuff of experimental results. went
from one end of the stacks to the other, taking-in all the experimental results that i
could.

the break-through came when, out of 'frustration', i drew the main circuitry on the
inside of a brown-paper shopping bag, and put it over my head so that i could study the
circuitry while i was walking around, all the while 'watching' all of my effector
activations... voi la! the 'Rosetta Stone' of TD E/I-minimization showed itself in the
RF-CBL interconnectedness. it helped that i was then living in a garret with slanted
ceilings, into which i was always banging the ol' noggin'.

this was ~9 years into my effort, and after the bag-viewing, everything just began to
implode toward unity.

"the unknown neuroscientist" :-)

cheers, ken (K. P. Collins)