Study on Medical Web Portals

Joan Evans j.evans at scienceboard.net
Mon Nov 15 05:42:38 EST 1999

The Science Advisory Board (http://www.scienceboard.net) is engaged in a
new study entitled, "Web Portals for Medical Professionals." A Web
"portal" is a site on the World Wide Web that promises to give you "one
stop" access to useful information and resources on a specific topic.
Until recently many of the best Web portals for medical professionals
were developed and maintained by academic and government organizations.
Today, however, dozens of portals have emerged which are owned by
commercial organizations ranging from established medical publishers and
societies to new Internet start-up companies.  Examples of commercial
portals for the medical professionals include popular sites such as
Medscape, Physicians Online, WebMD and many others.  Commercial portals
vary widely in focus, content, depth and design, and this study is
designed to better understand how commercial portals should evolve in
order to become truly valuable resources for medical professionals.

The Science Advisory Board is an online panel of more than 4,700
physicians, nurses, clinical laboratorians, pharmacists, researchers,
and other medical professionals from 64 countries.  Hundreds of our
Clinical Panel members have already participated in a brief online
survey, however, our goal is to gain the widest perspective possible.
If you would like to participate in this, or future studies, please
complete the CLINICAL Panel registration form which can be found at
http://www.scienceboard.net and you be notified of your eligibility
within 48 hours.  Your identity and individual responses are always held
in strict confidence, and participants are compensated for their time.

While you are at the site, please visit our "Past Studies" section in
the Members Area and read summaries of our surveys on Direct-to-Consumer
Pharmaceutical Advertising, Point-of-Care Testing, Telemedicine and
other topics.  Many of the summaries also contain hundreds of additional
insights and opinions submitted by our members and I'm sure you will
find them interesting and thought provoking!

Joan Evans
Membership Secretary
The Science Advisory Board
http://www.scienceboard.net