BIOPAC and actionpotential velocities.

Richard Norman rsnorman at mediaone.net
Tue Nov 16 09:25:34 EST 1999

I thought that MacLab is now iworx, and that BioPac is a different company.
In any case, have you tried the manufacturers web sites?  (www.biopac.com or
www.iworx.com)  Both of those vendors have complete lab manuals for use with
their equipment.

Measuring conduction velocity of the frog sciatic nerve is a fairly
traditional lab in introductory physiology or neurobiology and there are
many lab manuals and descriptions of how to do it.  Basically, you just
record the action potential at two locations along the nerve and calculate
velocity as difference in distance (between the two recording sites) divided
by difference in time (latency of response at the two sites).  Do not try to
measure velocity as the distance between stimulating and recording
electrodes divided by the time between stimulus and response.  You don't
know exactly when or where the action potential actually started.

Frog Ringer's solution is the appropriate solution

Neuromuscular junction "assays" depend critically on exactly what type of
equipment you have available.  I hesitate even to suggest how to record the
junction potential with microelectrodes if you don't even have experience
with the sciatic nerve compound action potential.  The iworx animal
physiology lab manual has details, as do many physiology and neurobiology
lab manuals.

And, of course, I assume you already have the necessary approval for working
with vertebrate animals from your campus animal care and use committee!

news:80q7rv$ok0$1 at ra.cc.wwu.edu...