Functionality Tests: Advice Needed

Matt Thompson thompson at fhs.lawrence.ks.us
Thu Nov 18 13:48:11 EST 1999

Dear readers,

    I'm involved with an epilepsy study, and we are trying to qualitatively
measure the patient's functional time from the EEG onset of a seizure to the
time function is lost.  We have an idea how long it can be; we don't know
how functional the person is.  We have developed a detection algorithm that
usually detects seizures at the EEG onset in real time (from depth
electrodes), and a detection triggers a computerized Neuropsych test for the
patient to take.  The test measures the ability to respond correctly to
simple stimuli, but we would like a better test (for example, a test that
could tell us how long the patient could drive a car before losing
function).  Our motivation for doing this study is that we are developing an
implantable seizure dectection device, and it would be beneficial to know
how long a person can remain functional after the device detects a seizure.
We realize that each person will probably have a different functional time,
but we want to determine if this device will be helpful to epileptics on
average.

Does anybody know where we can find a better test?
It needs to be possible for a patient to take the test while lying in bed.
A simplified driving simulator would be nice.

Thank you very much,

Matt Thompson