Thinking without language?

patrik bagge patrik-b at online.no
Thu Nov 18 14:21:24 EST 1999

allow me to 'speculate' a bit

first we know nothing, then we are born.
after this exciting event we begin experiencing
in our walk of life. We do think before language
is introduced, but we think in images,smells,tastes
etc , introduced and learned from our senses
(internal/external stimuli)
we might call this 'concepts'
After some more walk of life, we begin to connect
vocal symbols to these concepts
*food* = vocal 'food'
some more walking introduces the written language
to us and we connect some more.
*food* = vocal 'food' = word 'food'
One might say that these are merely symbols attached
to our concepts for communication purposes.
What seems to happen when we reason, is the same thing
as we speak, with the only exception that this information
does not reach our vocal motoric parts, it's inhibited.
But, some of the motoric program might slip thru and
make us look a bit funny when we reason.
Furthermore, the human mind seems a bit 'sloppy' at times
when converting concepts to words, selecting symbols
that are good enough. The sloppiness increases with
communication pace.