Thinking without language?

Larisa Migachyov lvm at leland.Stanford.EDU
Thu Nov 18 17:09:41 EST 1999

ADR wrote:

>  >I don't know about you, but I'm perfectly able to think verbally while
>  >sticking my tongue out and keeping it still.  The fact that I'm typing
>  >this with my tongue stuck out proves it.
>

>  No muscular movement at all? Not even in the throat or with the lips? That
>  would be a miracle.

None at all.  None that I can feel or see, anyway.  Maybe an EMG would
pick up something, but I don't have one handy.

This paragraph was typed while I am whistling Mozart's "Voi che sapete" -
this should probably show that I'm not moving my tongue in speech-like
patterns while I type, as whistling requires fairly precise tongue
movements. My dormmates can testify to the fact that I'm whistling in tune
and in correct rhythm, and even with a little vibrato.

--
Larisa Migachyov
Quaternion Press Publishing House