Thinking without language?

Alan Roth alan42 at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 19 14:37:29 EST 1999

ADR <a.dalla_rosa at virgin.net> wrote in message
news:811ame$bu5$1 at nclient15-gui.server.virgin.net...
> We don't actually think in words. Observe carefully while your
'thinking'.
> Your tongue is still moving and there is small muscular movements
occuring,
> you're actually talking without voicing out loud. Try sticking your
tongue
> out and keeping it still as possible, you won't be able to think well in
> 'words'. Thoughts are feelings on one level which we bring down one level
by
> using our tools for communication, such as our mouth.
Emanuel Vygotsky made much of this in psycho-linguistics 65-75 years ago.
(He died at an early age in the Soviet Union.)  I think appreciation of
imagery must be added, though, to begin to understand the range of
conceptualization in the human mind. Words are only one form of "pattern
matching."

Alan