Thinking without language?

Alexander Gross alexilen at sprynet.com
Fri Nov 19 20:37:07 EST 1999

>OK.  Here is the text, and a loose translation:

>Any Italians who find fault with the above translation are free to express
>their displeasure.

No displeasure, Larisa.  Just a bit of tweaking & fine tuning.

> Voi che sapete                           You who know
> Che cosa e' amor,                        What love is,
> Donne, vedete                            Ladies, see
> S'io l'ho nel cor.                       If I have it in my heart.
> Quello ch'io provo                       What I am feeling
> Vi ridiro';                              I will tell you again;
> E' per me nuovo,                         It is new for me,
> Capir non so.                            And I don't know how to
understand it.
> Sento un affetto                         I feel a fondness
> Pien di desir,                           Full of desire,
> Ch'ora e' diletto,                       That is at times a delight,
> Ch'ora e' martir.                        And at times a torment.
> Gelo, e poi sento                        I freeze, and then I feel
> L'alma avvampar,                         My soul ablaze,
> E in un momento                          And in only a moment
> Torno a gelar.                           I go back to freezing again.
> Ricerco un bene                          I'm looking for a treasure [or a
love]
> Fuori di me,                             Outside of myself,
> Non so chi'l tiene,                      I don't know who holds it,
> Non so cos'e.                            I don't know what it is.
> Sospiro e gemo                           I sigh and groan
> Senza voler,                             Without wanting to,
> Palpito e tremo                          I flutter and tremble
> Senza saper,                             Without knowing why,
> Non trovo pace                           I don't find peace
> Notte, ne di;                            At night, or during the day,
> Ma pur mi piace                          But still it pleases me
> Languir cosi;                            To languish like this.
> Voi che sapete                           You who know
> Che cosa e amor,                         What love is,
> Donne, vedete                            Ladies, see
> S'io l'ho nel cor.                       If I have it in my heart.

And since our topic is allegedly AI NLP, just a mild rebuke.  It isn't
necessarily for Italians to find fault with such a translation, though they
will very likely have an opinion, but rather for professional translators to
determine whether or not one or another translation is truly accurate or
not.  Most native speakers of a language, including some in my own family,
don't know beans about translation and can't really judge how accurate any
extended text  may be.   It is this kind of deep professional translator's
knowledge that NLP programmers have failed to get into their programs, which
accounts for the low quality of these programs.

                                                    saluti da sandro grossi!