Thinking without language?

Sebastian Diel sedi at dorf.wh.uni-dortmund.de
Sat Nov 20 09:51:19 EST 1999

Hello, Jure!

> > Oh... I'd love to have the entire theory! I am to write my final thesis
> > next year
> > and it will be about didactics of rap-music. Perhaps one can find a few
> > interconnections (uh, is that word usable?) to these thougts. Perhaps
> > not, but
> > who knows? :))
>
> Yeah, yeah,... big joke...

No joke at all! I am -no kidding- very interested in details on that
topic. I am looking for anything
concerning speech production at thew moment, and my first thougt was,
that rehearsing a rap just by
the imaginion of speaking it may be not too bad an idea. I used this
technique when I was about to do
my instrumental exams. I trained to much on the piano and i got a
"inflammation of tendonsheath" (that's
what my dictionary calls it) on both my arms and had to stop practicing
in the middle of the stream. My
teacher told me to just read the score 2 hours a day, only *imagining*
my fingers would move. This happened
to be a great tip - it was nearly as good as actually playing the stuff.
When my arms were ok again, I could
play the works by heart and better than ever.

> > But is the movement still there with older readers? Or better: do the
> > nerves still
> > get the impulses to move - maybe on a level beneath the threshold to
> > actually work?
>
> The impulses always "move" from one system to the other or else you wouldn't fell like
> to eat an pale when you see one...

That's right, yes. I meant something different: Nerves transmit
electrical pulses. If I want my finger to move, the nerve system will
transmit the signal code from brain down to spine, from there into the
arm until it finally reaches the muscle it shall stimulate to contract.

My question is:

If I just *imagine* to move my finger while keeping it perfectly still,
do I only have an abstract image of a moving finger in my brain or do my
nerves still transmit the same signal to the muscle, perhaps beneath the
threshold that my muscle needs to move noticable?

It would perhaps be better to practice complicated movements in brain
first, because this may keep you off negative training side effects
like  cramping (I hope this word is correct) or getting physically
tired.

> And that "beneath the threshold" is a pretty lousy joke... Ok maybe beneath the
> threshold for you to sense it, but not for it to work...

I'm sorry that I wrote misunderstandable.

Sebastian