Thinking without language?

Harlan Messinger zzzhmessinger at erols.com
Sat Nov 20 15:25:52 EST 1999

"ADR" <a.dalla_rosa at virgin.net> wrote:

>>Are you really serious?
>>
>>How, when people are talking, are they able to think simultaneously about
>>things other than what they are saying, in your view?
>>

>Multi-tasking.

You missed my point. I understand that one can think about multiple
things at once. But one can't be moving one's mouth so as to form
different utterances simultaneously. If you believe that verbal
thoughts are necessarily accompanied by corresponding movement in the
speech muscles, the simultaneous thoughts would imply that one *could*
make simultaneous utterances out of one mouth.

--
Harlan Messinger
There are no Zs in my actual e-mail address.