Thinking without language?

patrik bagge patrik-b at online.no
Sun Nov 21 13:27:25 EST 1999

[alan]
I ended up doing doctoral work in Educational Psychology--I got better
at remembering things as I studied ways of remembering. So what is the
point? I still find it surprising (and admirable) that someone would
take on the task of memorizing pi, but I am not inclined to do it
myself. Is this a character flaw?

some of us might have the same 'flaw', after roughly 20 years
of active complex system design, where 'active' is a key word
I have begun to dislike facts, they are a bit boring. Memorizing
methods/strategies seems to work good for me, the facts tend
to come along naturally.
An interesting 'side' effect is, of course, that one collects a lot
of facts and seems to have problems, getting rid of them.
Earlier some of us concluded that knowledge is rarely ever
forgotten, only the access path is weakened.
imho, much of learning is a repetetive path strengthening activity.

[lee]
>I don't think so.  You don't have to do everything that you're capable
>of.   However, failing  to  notice your  abilities  and potentials  is
>certainly a weakness.

yes, it's a grand abuse to the grey wet mass between our ears.
actually it should take offense and stop working entirely...

/pat