Thinking without language?

julien colomb julien.colomb at unifr.ch
Sun Nov 21 13:25:37 EST 1999

ADR wrote:

> >None at all.  None that I can feel or see, anyway.  Maybe an EMG would
> >pick up something, but I don't have one handy.
> >

> My remote EMG with background radiation detector and dark matter telepathor
> detects that there were minute movements of your tongue, throat and lips
> that would account for what you 'think' were verbal thoughts.
>
> Now repeat after me, with your tongue stuck out really sharply and pressed
> between your tongue, 'I am not thinking verbally'.

of course, we can thing of saying something without using our verbal
utilities... But that was not the question: it's possible to think without
anything but just the brain.
an example, when you think "red" (not the term but the color), a proof is that
if you can't perform it, you'll think red and I'll think "rouge" but if we
think of the color we'll have the same idea.