Thinking without language?

Alan Roth alan42 at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 21 14:12:01 EST 1999

patrik bagge <patrik-b at online.no> wrote in message
news:HDWZ3.15295$1C4.145058 at news1.online.no...
> [alan]
[...]
> some of us might have the same 'flaw', after roughly 20 years
> of active complex system design, where 'active' is a key word
> I have begun to dislike facts, they are a bit boring. Memorizing
> methods/strategies seems to work good for me, the facts tend
> to come along naturally.
> An interesting 'side' effect is, of course, that one collects a lot
> of facts and seems to have problems, getting rid of them.
> Earlier some of us concluded that knowledge is rarely ever
> forgotten, only the access path is weakened.
> imho, much of learning is a repetetive path strengthening activity.
>
> [lee]
> >I don't think so.  You don't have to do everything that you're
capable
> >of.   However, failing  to  notice your  abilities  and potentials
is
> >certainly a weakness.
>

> yes, it's a grand abuse to the grey wet mass between our ears.
> actually it should take offense and stop working entirely...
Actually, improvising on my baroque recorder to Beethoven or to some
rock group is a much more engaging exercise than memorization could ever
be for me. It seems that improvization and memorization can either
complement each other, or they can fight it out on the alter of
conventionality and presumed (but not proven) efficacy. Do we want more
conformity to the past (as facts), or are creative solutions the goal?
Tell me--I've forgotten the answer, (if I ever knew it).

Alan