interesting project ?

patrik bagge patrik-b at online.no
Sun Nov 21 15:36:49 EST 1999

>Be careful about how you use the term "mind control".

sorry, a combination of poor english and lack of knowledge
in your area of expertice...

>If you mean using signals recorded from the nervous system to control
>external devices, there is a lot of physiological basis to do this.  If you
>mean using external devices to control a persons thoughts, you tend to
cross
>the line from real science into a different arena (which will probably get
>me flamed).

by heavens, NO, that i leave to other evil institutions
, lending a hand to the devil. Those am i willing to help
you flame.

>The main problem is picking up the appropriate signals.  Using external
>electrodes stuck on the scalp, you record the EEG (electroencephalogram)
>wave.  This really isn't specific enough to effectively control machinery.
>Using very small electrodes implanted into the right portion of the brain,
>you get signals that you can train to do this.  Unfortunately, implanting
>the electrodes is rather invasive, to say the least.  And long term
>stability is a serious problem.

ok, no invasive manuevers, so EEG is option 1
, i studied present equipment a bit, the obtained signal levels
seem to be in the uV range, thus requiring sensitive/accurate
low noise amplifiers and the 3D position of activity seems
to be located quite accurate.

>External electrodes placed over muscles are a more likely candidate for
you.
>These record the EMG (electromyogram).  Again, electrodes implanted into
>muscle (or in motor nerves) provide much more accurate control, but
requires
>invasive techniques.

hmm, haven't heard much of this, is motoric thought or intention, measurable
along skin surface ?

>Another possibility is external electrodes placed around the eyes.  These
>record the EOG (electrooculogram) and can indicate the direction the eyes
>are pointing.  Better control is obtained using a camera that records the
>reflection of a small spot of light shining on the eye.  That can more
>accurately detect the direction of gaze.  A subtle eyeblink can then cause
>the mouse pointer to move to that location.

ok, tempting and sounds like it already has been achieved
, i'm more interested in 'understanding', decoding mind activity
When i think 'move' or 'red' or any concept, this should?
activate a specific area(s?) in brain that 'holds' this concept.

>Can someone else help out with citations?  I tried searching PubMed but
>"Biocontrol EEG" or "Biocontrol EMG" resulted only in a small number of
>older Russian studies.

finally, if you tell me how, then i will and the result
might make many fellow human beings happy.

Thanks
/pat