Thinking without language?

ADR a.dalla_rosa at virgin.net
Sun Nov 21 15:55:11 EST 1999

>You missed my point. I understand that one can think about multiple
>things at once. But one can't be moving one's mouth so as to form
>different utterances simultaneously.

That bit is true, but are you really sure that you are thinking verbally two
things at the same time, or are you switching between them rapidly with
physical movement still happening in the mouth and throat or do you just
feel like you are thinking two things at the same time?

It's like thnking with images. You're not actually seeing the images that
you think you are seeing. It's impossible. Sight can only be done with the
eyes and true images can only be seen with the eyes. When you 'think' that
you are seeing images in your head, what you're actually doing is getting
impressions of things you already recognise such as shape, texture, size,
temperature and so on. You 'feel' you are seeing them by remembering how
they felt to your senses. Likewise, you don't actually think verbally in
your head, you only think verbally in your throat and mouth using the
smallest of movements that sometimes you find veyr hard to detect. Sounds
and images are impossible in the head, only impressions of them which you
bring down to a a more outer, physical level.

ADR