Thinking without language?

ADR a.dalla_rosa at virgin.net
Sun Nov 21 16:00:37 EST 1999

>>  Yes, it's called facial expression.
>
>But if one weren't able to control it, nobody would ever be able to play
>poker.

That's why everybody loses from time to time, even with good cards. Joking,
cards aside I just want to add that it impossible to hear something without
ears doing the listening so verbal sounds in the head are more likely
impressions of what you 'think' you are saying and which are accompanied by
very minute movements in the throat and mouth which can be nearly
undetectable. Think about the babies, what do they think? Or is it all
impressions which, when the learn a language, then work out verbally with
the organs of speech that I mentioned above.

Likewise, as I've stated elsewhere, mental imagery is impossible. You only
think that you see images in your mind. What you are actually doing is
remembering what things feel like, what their shape is, their texture,
movement, size and so on. You are remembering how they made you feel, what
impressions you got from them. All of these things happen very rapidly and
make you think you are seeing mental images, but you are not seeing
anything. You are only feeling.