Thinking without language?

Alan Roth alan42 at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 21 16:46:52 EST 1999

patrik bagge <patrik-b at online.no> wrote in message
news:q5YZ3.15376$1C4.145539 at news1.online.no...
[...]
> >It seems that improvization and memorization can either
> >complement each other, or they can fight it out on the alter of
> >conventionality and presumed (but not proven) efficacy. Do we want
more
> >conformity to the past (as facts), or are creative solutions the
goal?
> >Tell me--I've forgotten the answer, (if I ever knew it).
>

> i can only offer you my personal views,
> wherever those come from...
[...]
> imho, there is this nice feedback signal
> indicating present state of knowledge
> organisation, called 'confusement'
>
> when the path closes we could distinct
> 1) motivation / desire (curiosity is one)
> 2) behavior and cognition
> 3) value of 'confusement'
An old friend always admonished me to "stay confused." This, because the
resolution of confusion is learning. It is a prime motivator for me to
find out how it really workds.

> thus, imho, creativity/improvization goes
> hand in hand with learning/knowledge
> and understanding.
One can look up the facts, or try to discover the principle and then
generalize to other areas. A lifetime of doing this produces someone who
is not going to fit into rounded-off holes.

> to creativity i associate intelligence
> combined with 'big picture', 'crosscientific' etc
> I have come to the conclusion that
> dr, phd titles , occasionally inhibits
> creativity, one has read a book to many
> without enough personal evaluation.
I discovered this in college when one of my professor's was so dry and
matter-of-fact that I almost fell asleep on him several times. Didn't
want to risk asking a question--he might not have been able to get out
of the facts and into the question--BTW, he was a professor in
English--this made it particularly disappointing.

> imho creativity:
> analogy in patterns between different
> contexts, nothing is really 'new'
I understand what you mean, but I do believe that the resolution of the
analytical and the holistic varies as socities evolve. This is a slow
process, but yesterday's creativity must be improved on to evolve into
tomorrow's dream (or nightmare, whichever it is).

> confused regards
> Patrik Bagge
Stay confused with me, thanks,
Alan Roth