Thinking without language?

dag.stenberg at helsinki.nospam.fi dag.stenberg at helsinki.nospam.fi
Mon Nov 22 06:08:12 EST 1999

In bionet.neuroscience kenneth Collins <kpaulc at earthlink.net> wrote:
> i have an old hypertext doc that runs under MSDOS and all Windows. it's about
> 500k compressed, expands to a little over a meg. if you can run it, and want it,
> i'll send you a copy. it provides a brief introduction to a unified theory of
> CNS function, cognition, affect and behavior, and discusses TD E/I-minimization.
> comprehension requires other reading in Neuroscience.

Well, the compressed file is 355 k in my computer, and the sum of
expanded files is 863 k.

This citation is, in my opinion, helpful:
"Duality Theory [the theory proposed by Ken] holds that the central
nervous system is structurally ordered everywhere to achieve the single
biological goal of minimizing the sum of the topologically-distributed
ratios of excitatory to inhibitory neural activations that are occurring
within it. This is stated in a compact form as
	[finitization] = [summation of] (TD E/I) [minimized]"
		(sorry, cannot find proper symbols to go over the net)

As far as I have understood, the brain of every individual tries to
behave in such a fashion that the sum of (topologically distributed)
E/I is minimized, and each brain region strives to influence other
regions so that _its_ E/I is minimized. This also means
"energy-consumtion minimization at cellular, sub-systematic and global
levels".

The topological issues are more difficult to understand, and I do not
claim to have done so. There are protopathic and epicritic brain regions:
the protopathic ones are the diffusely connected ones, like the
reticular formation, and the epicritic ones are the orderly ones
(hypothalamus, thalamus - strangely enough).
	(Not a triune brain, here).

The TD E/I minimization principle leads to interesting conclusions.
According to the AoK (1989) text, an angry face has more wrinkles, thus
more information density than a smile. Consequently, it causes greater
TD E/I.  "If one behaves inappropriately with one's environment,
an increased amount of excitation will be experienced".
I understand that the CNS then takes various actions to decrease
the TD E/I. (I would). The theory states that "all activation states in
which TD E/I are minimized ... consist the 'subjective-good' knowledge
category".

Enough for now. I did think that explaining how I have understood the
concept of TD E/I would be helpful.

Dag Stenberg