Thinking without language?

Harlan Messinger zzzhmessinger at erols.com
Mon Nov 22 11:19:07 EST 1999

Tom Holroyd <tomh at po.crl.go.jp> wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.10.9911221229550.1001-100000 at holly.crl.go.jp...

> Try this:
>
> Say "eeee" and hold your mouth in that position.  Now, think the sound
> "oooh".  Did your lips move?  It's fairly easy to train oneself not to
> move, but there is a tendency for the mouth to move when "thinking" of
> these basic phonemes.  It's also easier to think of "oooh" if you allow
> your mouth to move into an "oooh" shape.

Not for me. I'm sorry you have such difficulty thinking of sounds.

This is like saying you can't think of musical notes without subconsciously
triggering the subtle finger movements used to play them on the piano.
Before any of you says that that IS what happens during thoughts about
musical notes, let me just point out that not everyone knows how to play the
piano.

Which leads me to ask what you think about hearing mutes.