parkinsons disease

Bill Skaggs skaggs at bns.pitt.edu
Mon Nov 22 15:17:50 EST 1999

rrramse at HOTMAIL.COM ("Rhonda Ramseur") writes:

> In my Vertebrate Physiology class we are studying Parkinsons disease,
> Huntingtons disease, etc.  I know that Parkinson's disease deals with the
> degeneration of dopamine cells in the brain, but what I don't know is how
> and why these cells begin to break down.

Nor does anybody else.  In so-called "idiopathic" Parkinson's (the
most common kind), the cause of dopamine cell loss is not known.
There are other things, such as encephalitis or abusing a drug called
MPTP, that can kill dopamine cells and cause a syndrome very similar
to Parkinson's disease; but Parkinson's itself remains a mystery.

> I have done a lot of research and
> I still can not find the answer to this question.  If anyone could help me I
> would appreciate it.

Me too!

	-- Bill