Thinking without language?

Lee Sau Dan ~{ at nJX6X~} sdlee at
Mon Nov 22 20:32:01 EST 1999

    Alan> How many digits can you memorize? I haven't found a personal
    Alan> need to go past 3.14159.

Quite  true.  On  Linux (and  most Unices),  it's very  easy to  get a
decimal expansion of pi for as  many places as you like (provided your
computer has enough virtual memory, and you have enough patience).

	$ echo 'scale=400; 4*a(1)' | time bc -l

This took  only 9  seconds on  a Pentium 133  running Linux.   So, why
memorize pi to so many decimal places?

But similarly, there is no need to learn to play the piano, given that
you can buy a casette tape for the masterpieces of all great pianists,
and that if you  are rich enough, you can hire a  pianist to play your
favourite pieces for you.

Lee Sau Dan                     $(0,X)wAV(B(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)
|                      e-mail: sdlee at |