SV: Capacity of the brain

Peter Seebach seebs at plethora.net
Tue Nov 23 20:51:20 EST 1999

In article <VmE_3.16949$1C4.163389 at news1.online.no>,
patrik bagge <patrik-b at online.no> wrote:
>All sciences so far have boiled down to something
>useful or deadly, it's not _a_ science if it does not
>, just another fantasy of mind...

The legends of my people say that Boole died a happy man, having been the
first mathematician ever to conceive of a field of study with *absolutely no
practical applications*.

He now spins in his grave at 500Mhz.

Science is welcome to take arbitrarily long times to find practical
applications; I, for one, welcome research into "useless" fields, because,
time and time again, we've found support for the claim that there *are*
no useless fields.

-s
Copyright 1999, All rights reserved.  Peter Seebach / seebs at plethora.net
C/Unix wizard, Pro-commerce radical, Spam fighter.  Boycott Spamazon!
Will work for interesting hardware.  http://www.plethora.net/~seebs/
Visit my new ISP <URL:http://www.plethora.net/> --- More Net, Less Spam!