Thinking without language?

mithomps at indiana.edu mithomps at indiana.edu
Wed Nov 24 15:45:46 EST 1999

Jure Sah wrote:

> Ok, I admit I goofed it.

That's okay.  Oddly enough though, I remember once when I was nine years
old saying to my father that perhaps things weren't *really* hot or
cold.  Instead maybe they were really really hot then really really
cold, but they changed so fast that they felt only a little hot or a
little cold.  My father then asked me, if that was so why did hot things
make cold things warmer when they were placed in contact?  I said it was
because the really really hot flashes splashed over into the other body
like higher waves absorbing smaller waves.  He had me then and asked
that if that was so why didn't the waves just cancel out and leave you
with small waves, and thus really cold temperatures?  That meant, he
pounded another nail into the lid, temperature wasn't like a large wave
sloshing back and forth, so why should I expect heat to conduct at all
if the temperature was always changing really really fast?  If I'd been
serious about the thought I could have probably gotten around that
eventually, but I knew when I was beaten.

Mikael Thompson