Thinking without language?

Lee Sau Dan ~{ at nJX6X~} sdlee at faith.csis.hku.hk
Wed Nov 24 20:06:56 EST 1999

    Larisa> Well, I don't think that the notes enter into that; by
    Larisa> then, the notes and finger motions become close to
    Larisa> automatic.  There are some verbal thoughts of the "Oh no!
    Larisa> I can't believe I missed that note!" variety - but in
    Larisa> order to play well, one has to feel the emotion that one
    Larisa> is playing, and let the music flow through one's mind.  I
    Larisa> can't explain the kind of thinking involved - but it is
    Larisa> definitely thinking, and definitely wordless.  (and not on
    Larisa> the note level).

I do have the "Oh no!   I missed that note!"  thought when playing the
piano, but that thought comes  in a completely NON-VERBAL way.  Again,
that though  flashings in my  mind in a language-independent  way, and
there is too little  time for me to put the thought  into words of any
language I'm fluent in.

I don't know why you MUST  tie each thought with some words.  Yes, you
need the words  to describe it to us, but that  doesn't means that you
MUST use those words when you  think about it.  Have you ever had some
"strange"  feelings that  you  find it  hard  to describe  it to  your
friends verbally?   Have you ever  had some bright theories  which you
find it hard to explain to your friends verbally (but pretty easy when
you use diagrams)?

--
Lee Sau Dan                     $(0,X)wAV(B(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)