Thinking without language?

Lee Sau Dan ~{ at nJX6X~} sdlee at faith.csis.hku.hk
Thu Nov 25 05:28:59 EST 1999

    John> Why would it take time to put into words.  If you think the
    John> thought the words are there.

No, they  aren't there.

    John> They may not be top-most to
    John> your attention.  It is a mere shift in mental focus to have
    John> the words present.  How sure are you the words are not
    John> there?

At least, I can't tell you  in what language they are!  They're not in
my native language, nor in English, nor in Mandarin.

    John> The verbal part of your mind is not idle.  It is generating
    John> words with each thought.

Then, can you tell me in what language these words are?  I don't think
in  any specific  language.  When  I think  visually, I'm  sure  it is
language-less.  So, where are the words?

BTW, how do you define "word"?

--
Lee Sau Dan                     $(0,X)wAV(B(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)