Hell's 'carrot'

Patrik Bagge pab at neramd.no
Thu Nov 25 06:53:40 EST 1999

kenneth Collins wrote in message <383D10C8.EACA9170 at earthlink.net>...
>i read a story, tonight. Bishop Fulton Sheen told it. it was an old Russian
story
>about a person in Hell who was asked by an Angel whether, if granted the
means to
>get out of Hell, would the person take the opportunity? the person
answered,
>"Yes." so the Angel came back and held out a carrot for the person to grab
onto.
>the person grabbed hold, but all the other people in Hell tried to grab
onto the
>person.
>
>so, all remained in Hell.

Interesting story, allow me a variation:

The person is quick and since he has
the advantage of being first,he slips the hangarounds
, eats the carrot on the way to Heaven, since
he's really hungry too !, arriving to heaven, both
happy to be there and well fed, going 'burp'

The next part of the story is really interesting, for
once he is in heaven, he finds this large pile of
carrots and friendly angels. Being the
compassionate/ethic/moral
person he is, he manages to convince the
angels to rescue the other poor individuals from
hell.

In the light of this scenario, should he or should he
not, at least, have an attempt on the carrot in the
first place ?

Is it justified to lie, when 'convincing' the angels ?

may it even be 'acceptable' to push a hangaround
in the flames when going for the carrot ?

/pat