SV: Capacity of the brain

Jan Ingvoldstad jani at ifi.uio.no
Thu Nov 25 08:08:00 EST 1999

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:26:25 +0100, "patrik bagge"
<patrik-b at online.no> said:

> ok agreed, but obtaining success killing yourself has a tiny
> little element of contradiction in it. normally success is
> associated with a little 'good'

As others have tried to explain to you, that is not the case in
science.

> and
> course,
> good' a
> precognition).
>>
>>> ok, good answer, you contradict yourself a little bit,
>>
>> Where are the contradictions?

> if one should consider, predicting weather, building a computer
> a 'practical application' then the science enabling us to do this
> has something 'to do' behind the scenes.

I don't think you understood what he wrote, nor the concept of
"success" for a scientific theory.

The contradiction is all in _your_ mind.

>> No, he states that practical application has occurred before, not that
>> practical consequences _must_ follow.

> if consequences do not follow, ever, do you think that the
> science will be alive&kicking, gaining success, despite of it's
> lack of consequences ?

We're not saying that consequences don't ever follow.  This is not an
either-or thing.  If I say that a car has been green once, it doesn't
mean that I claim it won't ever be green again.

> (let's not get into marketing/religion here..)

Why not?  You're already discussing science based on a lacking grasp
of concepts, reality and matters of faith ...

--
BTW: octopuses are much better and two orders of magnitude faster for
changing color, and they support bump-mapped textures!