science = determinism?

Jeffrey S. Dutky dutky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Nov 25 16:59:40 EST 1999

Bill Todd wrote:

> Am I the only one who believes that 'random' means that
> the probabilities of all possible outcomes are equal?

Yes, I think you are the only one who thinks that 'random'
implies a constant probability distribution (all events
of equal likelihood). The term 'deterministic' is a very
strong one, meaning that the outcome of events flows
directly, and repeatably, from the initial conditions.
The converse of the term, however, would mean ONLY that
the the outcome was, in at least some small way, independant
of the initial conditions. It in no way requires that the
outcomes be evenly distributed.

- Jeff Dutky