Thinking without language?

Etaoin Shrdlu cooper17.spamless at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 26 05:57:22 EST 1999

> >This was novel to me, but I taught myself to visualize concepts, even
> >abstract ones--guess what--my comprehension of the world increased with
> >practice and I suspect my measureable IQ has risen too--(it hasn't been
> >tested recently, but one knows what things are amenable to solution and
> >not).
> >
> >I learned to switch modes, depending on the type of problem. There is no
> >doubt that "a picture is worth a thousand words." It is explication for
> >others that is sometimes difficult--words are so limiting and so slow.
>

> Bravo Alan, my deepest respects
> Patrik Bagge

When I was a kid, I thought everyone thought in gestalt, holographic sorts
of structures with variable focus. Only later did I learn to think in
pictures, and then later in words (which I often find rather limiting, but
which is useful in trying to memorize things), even though I've always been
very verbal with a high vocabulary.
--Katrina