Thinking without language?

Alan Roth alan42 at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 26 09:35:34 EST 1999

I find something convincing in horse-learning, but I must repeat the one
I posted that no one took up on.
    To whit: I "memorize" some telephone numbers as patterns of finger
movements on the dial pad. I don't remember the "words," that is, the
numbers.  The finger motions are associated with the name of the callee,
(I do this with a few friends). There is no semantic content in the
numbers until they are "pushed" using the pattern. The pattern is an
overlay for the way the keys are laid out, it is NOT the numbers
themselves.

This must be some type of kinesthetic memory working--it has no semantic
content except for the name of the callee--which has no logical or
physical relationship to the layout of the dial.

How would the creation of tactile patterns be possible if all memory is
"semantic?"

Alan

Etaoin Shrdlu <cooper17.spamless at xs4all.nl> wrote in message
news:81ls17$3mr$2 at news1.xs4all.nl...

> > When you first start playing Tetris, or driving, one
> > isn't very good, and in my case there is a lot of verbal thinking
going
> > on.  "That piece will fit and fill the row" etc.  As you gain
experience
> > and have already solved the problems, you simply recognize a
situation,
> > and reapply the same solution.
> > I'm willing to accept that different people think differently, but
for me
> > I would consider verbal thinking very important...
>
> In teaching horses to jump, which they do not do naturally, I have
observed
> them learning how to take even a jump they've never seen before, of a
type
> unfamiliar to them, exactly in stride. Are you saying the horse starts
out
> by saying to itself, "Oh, look, there's something to jump over; now,
last
> time it was different... OK, now I see how to apply what I've been
learning,
> it's a four-strides-with-a-bit-of-restraint type fence" (and yes, they
do
> often practice on their own, working on the approach, so we're not
talking
> about rider-to-horse communication here, and anyway a rider cannot
force or
> direct a horse to jump well, only to jump at all, and sometimes not
even
> that) and then gradually learns not to depend on this verbal track?
Gestalt