Thinking without language?

Alan Roth alan42 at
Fri Nov 26 09:40:36 EST 1999

Etaoin Shrdlu <cooper17.spamless at> wrote in message
news:81ls19$3mr$4 at
> > >This was novel to me, but I taught myself to visualize concepts,
> > >abstract ones--guess what--my comprehension of the world increased
> > >practice and I suspect my measureable IQ has risen too--(it hasn't
> > >tested recently, but one knows what things are amenable to solution
> > >not).
> > >
> > >I learned to switch modes, depending on the type of problem. There
is no
> > >doubt that "a picture is worth a thousand words." It is explication
> > >others that is sometimes difficult--words are so limiting and so
> >

> > Bravo Alan, my deepest respects
> > Patrik Bagge
> When I was a kid, I thought everyone thought in gestalt, holographic
> of structures with variable focus. Only later did I learn to think in
> pictures, and then later in words (which I often find rather limiting,
> which is useful in trying to memorize things), even though I've always
> very verbal with a high vocabulary.
Since I was programmed to think in words very early, (I was reading "A
Tale of Two Cities" while in Kindergarten), I came from the exact
opposite direction. It has been difficult to "allow" first picture
logic, and now variable foci and holistic integrations--this last has
only started in the last 10 years, (and I'm 56).
    We both were in for surprises, Katrina. I suspect you got the better
deal, though.