science = determinism? (Schrodinger: algorithm or phenomena?)

Clayton Weaver cgweav at eskimo.com
Fri Nov 26 10:11:38 EST 1999

I was reading Chaitin's paper on computational complexity and wondering
about this in the context of the mentioned probabilistic nature of
the Schrodinger equation.

Is this not merely curve-fitting, an approximation of a chaotic transform
where we do not know what parameters of the quantum environment may in
fact determine the behavior that the Shrodinger equation gives us
probabilities for? Is it really valid to attribute to the phenomena itself
a non-deterministic attribute of the mathematics we have applied to it?

It is an open question, of course, so I don't expect an answer, just
something to consider: do not confuse a mathematical description of
something with the thing itself.

Regards,

Clayton Weaver
<mailto:cgweav at eskimo.com>
(Seattle)

"Everybody's ignorant, just in different subjects."  Will Rogers

--

Clayton Weaver
<mailto:cgweav at eskimo.com>