science = determinism?

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz nospam at nsf.gov.invalid
Fri Nov 26 09:41:25 EST 1999

Bill Todd wrote:

> Am I the only one who believes that 'random' means that the probabilities of
> all possible outcomes are equal?

I hope so; that's certainly not how the term is used in probability
theory and statistics. In fact, the very question is ill formed. What
constitutes an outcome? If I pick a card from a Canasta deck and only
care whether the card is a joker, are there 2 possible outcomes, 53, 106
or 108? Only in the last case would the probabilities be equal.

--

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
Reply to host nsf (dot) gov, user smetz