science = determinism? (Schrodinger: algorithm or phenomena?)

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Fri Nov 26 12:06:24 EST 1999

* Clayton Weaver wrote:
> Is this not merely curve-fitting, an approximation of a chaotic transform
> where we do not know what parameters of the quantum environment may in
> fact determine the behavior that the Shrodinger equation gives us
> probabilities for? Is it really valid to attribute to the phenomena itself
> a non-deterministic attribute of the mathematics we have applied to it?

You can look at the nature of any possible parameters which determine
the result -- these are usually called `hidden variables' -- and one
of the outcomes is that these things must be non-local.  So if these
hidden variables could ever be detected then they would be
causality-violating, if you believe special relativity.  This is
usually taken to rule out such hidden variables.

--tim