science = determinism? (Schrodinger: algorithm or phenomena?)

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Fri Nov 26 19:05:53 EST 1999

* Peter da Silva wrote:
> At some point I suspect that they're going to decide that causality
> violations are the simplest solution.

I doubt this.  Causality violation is absolutely toxic, in the sense
that if you have a causality violation you basically have no laws at
all -- or alternatively any rules you want!

QM is weird (very weird) but it does actually work while causality
violating things really don't.

It's interesting (if now even further off-topic) that there are
causality-violating solutions in General Relativity, and people are
(or were 14 years ago) trying to prove theorems like the
cosmic-censorship theorem (which as far as I know is unproven) to show
that these things either had to be censored or could not result from
plausible initial conditions.  CV solutions and singularities both
seem to be pretty bad weaknesses in GR.

--tim