CREATEorKILL

fleming at AMSELECT.COM fleming at AMSELECT.COM
Sat Nov 27 10:12:50 EST 1999

Hi,

After visiting your Web site, http://www.bio.net/FAQS/NEUROSCIENCE/9709, last week-end, I got to wondering about computer games where the aim is to kill Martians, etc as quickly as possible. A recent press release for a new game "Blood of the Damned" has "a mysterious sect of bloodsuckers and baby snatchers". Brazilian police are investigating whether "Duke Nukem" induced a medical student to go on a killing spree.

What is the aggression in these games teaching youngsters about their attitude towards people in the real world? I'm NOT thinking of starting a National Campaign Against Violent Computer Games (how's NACAPAGVICOMGA for an acronym) but is it too much to hope that if enough parents encourage their children to find better uses for the PC, the tide of violence might be stemmed?

One suitable alternative would be to give youngsters the chance to create their own sites on the World Wide Web. Until recently, that was expensive or difficult or both. But it has now been brought within everyone's reach. Details can be obtained at http://www.skyboom.com/amsek/.

If you think this is a good idea, you might mention it to your friends or, better still, copy this e-mail to them. If you have other ideas on how kids can be discouraged from wasting their time playing destructive computer games, do please e-mail me.

With kind regards,

Pete Fleming
Amsek Electronics